The collective impact of volunteers across Sue Ryder is huge, but their individual contribution is extraordinary. As part of our team of volunteers, you can help us to achieve our ambition to provide more expert care for more people. Search for local volunteering opportunities near you and register your interest.
Within a few weeks, I felt more confident than ever before. With the support and encouragement that the managers gave me, I became a Senior Lead Volunteer. It's great being trusted to make decisions and to be a part of such a great cause.
Every person's contribution is valued
As a volunteer with Sue Ryder you’ll have the opportunity to feel connected, kickstart your career, share your skills and help your local community. It’s important to us that every volunteer feels valued and supported, so as part of our commitment to you we will:
- Make sure you have all the training you need for your role
- Ensure you feel appreciated and respected
- Give all prospective volunteers equal opportunities; celebrating diversity and inclusivity
- Provide you with regular support in a way that suits you
- Ask for your feedback and provide opportunities for you to help shape our future
- Celebrate successes and recognise your contribution
- Resolve any concerns or complaints promptly and fairly
- Ensure you have a clear idea of what your role involves
- Match your skills and interests with roles that help the charity achieve its aims
- Store your data safely and correctly
- Take steps to make sure all our volunteers and patients are safe
Volunteering here has honestly been the best decision I have made. When I first started I struggled badly with my mental health, but thanks to the amazing support of my work family my anxiety and confidence have improved. They’ve helped me do things I never thought I would ever be able to do and I’m forever grateful to my team and to the whole of Sue Ryder, it’s changed my life.
About our amazing volunteer team
Here are just a few of our proudest accomplishments of 2021/22 and some of the key feedback we received in this year’s annual Volunteer Voice survey:
- Over £12million worth of support was provided by volunteers across healthcare and fundraising.
- 1.3 million hours pledged by our volunteers across Sue Ryder.
- 704 volunteers went on to paid roles with Sue Ryder and elsewhere
- 48 years of service was celebrated by one of our volunteers, with four other volunteers celebrating over 45 years of service.
- Increased social connections and knowing you're making a difference to an important cause were voted the most significant personal benefits of being a volunteer with us.
- Over 3,000 online learning courses have been completed by volunteers.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Statement (Employees & Volunteers)
We aim to encourage a culture where all people feel valued for the unique contribution they bring to our organisation. We seek to attract and engage people from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, ages and abilities who bring a broad range of knowledge, skills and experience.
We aim to promote an environment of equality, dignity and respect and are committed to ensuring fairness and inclusion in all our recruitment and people management processes.
Volunteering with us
Please complete an online application, including some information about your experiences and any ideas that you might have around the type of volunteer role that you might like. This will help us to match you to the right opportunity with Sue Ryder.
Our volunteering blogs and news
You can catch up on all of the latest volunteering blogs and news to see how our amazing volunteers are supporting Sue Ryder right across the charity. Without them, we couldn't be there when it matters.