Our volunteer guidelines
Our ambition is that all volunteers feel appreciated, respected and proud to be part of the Sue Ryder team. Here, you can read about what we expect from you, and what you can expect from us.
We’re committed to our volunteers
We are committed to developing volunteering opportunities that benefit the charity as well as providing an experience that is rewarding for volunteers in an atmosphere that is inclusive, stimulating and supportive.
This includes making sure that volunteers are represented at every level of our work; that their voices are heard, and that their opinions are valued.
Our volunteers are at the heart of Sue Ryder
We couldn’t provide our expert care without the time, skills and dedication that volunteers bring.
From supporting the delivery of care services to serving customers in our shops, our volunteers are advocates for our work.
- Make sure volunteers have all the training they need in their role.
- Ensure volunteers feel appreciated and respected.
- Give all prospective volunteers equal opportunities; celebrating diversity and being inclusive.
- Provide volunteers with regular support in a way that suits them.
- Ask for feedback and provide opportunities for volunteers to help shape our future.
- Celebrate successes and recognise the contribution of volunteers across the charity.
- Resolve any concerns or complaints promptly and fairly.
- Ensure volunteers have a clear idea of what their role involves.
- Match volunteer skills and interests with appropriate roles that help the charity achieve its ambition.
- Store volunteer data safely and correctly.
- Take steps to make sure all our volunteers and patients are safe.
Questions, concerns and complaints
We welcome any feedback and encourage you to raise concerns or complaints with your volunteering line manager. If concerns cannot be resolved at this level, the regional or departmental manager can investigate.
If you feel unsatisfied with the outcome of previous stages, you can appeal to the Sue Ryder Head of Volunteer Development and Engagement.
We aim to acknowledge concerns within two working days and respond more comprehensively within 10 working days.