Gift Aid: frequently asked questions

Need some help with Gift Aid? Learn more in our frequently asked questions.

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities to reclaim the tax that you have already paid on your donations through UK Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax.

All individual donations (excluding those made through the Charities Aid Foundation, which are already subject to tax relief) are eligible for the scheme – including regular gifts such as Standing Orders and Direct Debits.

We can claim Gift Aid on donations made in the last four years and on future donations once we receive your declaration.

How do I sign up for Gift Aid with Sue Ryder?

Fill in our easy online form or you can complete a Gift Aid declaration and post this to us at: Sue Ryder, 183 Eversholt Street, London, NW1 1BU.

Find the relevant declaration forms for Gift Aid and Retail Gift Aid.

Questions about tax

How do I know if I am a UK taxpayer?

You are a UK taxpayer if:

  • Tax is taken from your wages or pension before you receive them.
  • You have to fill in a self-assessment form.
  • You have any taxable savings (in a building society, for instance), a pension plan or investment income, or you have recently paid any Capital Gains Tax/expect to pay it in the near future. This could be on the sale of a property or some shares, for example.
  • Remember by signing up to Gift Aid, you are confirming that you are an eligible taxpayer who has paid sufficient tax (and that if you haven't paid enough tax, it'll be up to you to make up the difference).

What if I pay tax at the higher rate?

We can only claim back tax at the basic rate, but that is still worth 25% extra on your donations to us, so please provide us with a declaration anyway.

If you pay higher rate tax, you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate of tax on the total (gross) value of your donation to Sue Ryder. You can make this claim on your Self-Assessment Tax Return if you were sent one. We would suggest speaking to your accountant if you would like to do this.

How can Sue Ryder reclaim 25% when the basic rate of tax is currently 20%?

This is because the basic rate of tax is calculated on the gross amount of the donation, i.e. we can reclaim 20% of the amount you earned before tax was deducted from you – and this works out to 25% of the amount that we receive.

What if I am a pensioner?

You may still be paying tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or pay Capital Gains Tax if you sell property or shares. You are still eligible if you have paid enough tax during the year to cover your donations (i.e. 25% of the value of your gifts).

I am not a taxpayer but my partner is and the donations are made by us jointly. Are our gifts still eligible?

Your gifts are still eligible for Gift Aid, but we need both your details separately for our records. Please contact our Supporter Care Line on 020 7554 5985 and we will be able to arrange this for you.

What if I was a taxpayer last year, but am not this year?

If your circumstances or personal details have changed in any way, please call the Supporter Care Line on 020 7554 5985 and we will update your record.

Alternatively, simply fill in our online form.

Other questions

What if I have a Deed of Covenant?

Deeds of Covenant are no longer valid as Gift Aid declarations. Even if you do have a Deed of Covenant, we’d appreciate it if you sign a Gift Aid declaration as a back-up for us.

Can Gift Aid be claimed on Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) donations?

We cannot reclaim tax on donations made through the Charities Aid Foundation as the tax has already been reclaimed for you – however please complete and return the declaration form anyway so we can reclaim the tax on any other non-CAF donations.

What if I have agreed to Gift Aid to another charity?

You can support as many UK charities as you like through Gift Aid. You just need to return a declaration to each charity that you support and be paying enough tax during the year to cover your total annual donations.

Do I have to make a declaration with every gift?

No. You just need to do it once and it will cover gifts you have already made to Sue Ryder in the last four years and gifts you make in the future, until you let us know otherwise.

Can you claim Gift Aid on sponsorship/donations I’m paying in on behalf of others?

Yes, we can claim Gift Aid on these donations! You will need to have the details of the individuals and their permission to Gift Aid. If you have taken part in a sponsored event for Sue Ryder, please send your sponsorship form to Sue Ryder, 183 Eversholt Street, London, NW1 1BU.

When paying in donations on behalf of others, you just need to let us know their full name, home address (including postcode) and the amount each individual gave. If you have any questions, please call the Sue Ryder Supporter Care Line on 020 7554 5985 or contact

Can you claim Gift Aid on all types of donation?

All individual donations are eligible for Gift Aid. Donations and collections from a group (e.g. office, department, local church or choir) are not eligible for Gift Aid - except if individual envelopes or a collection form listing each members' name, address and full postcode are enclosed, plus a clear indication that we Sue Ryder can claim Gift Aid against their donations.

Can I withdraw a declaration on a particular gift?

If, for any reason, you decide that your gift should not be included in Gift Aid – perhaps you realise that you will not pay enough tax to cover the tax reclaimed by us – then simply contact our Supporter Care or Retail Gift Aid Teams and we will amend your record to reflect this.

Can I stop giving?

Completing a Gift Aid declaration does not put you under any obligation to give again – it merely ensures that we can Gift Aid on the donations that you have already made and any you may give in the future, so that your gifts go further at no extra cost to you.

Retail Gift Aid

What is Retail Gift Aid?

Our charity shops play a huge role in raising the money we need to support our palliative, neurological and bereavement support. By allowing us to claim Gift Aid on the proceeds raised from the sale of your donated items you will be helping us generate additional income at no extra cost to you.

One bag of donated items could raise as much as £25, so with Gift Aid, this bag would be worth £31.

If you have any Retail Gift Aid enquiries please contact us on 01604 593 697.

To sign up for Retail Gift Aid, please visit your local Sue Ryder shop or register now using our quick online form.