Unfortunately, there are some items we can’t accept as donations due to health and safety, and legal reasons.
Whilst we will always endeavour to sell items which have kindly been donated to us, we must evaluate the potential risk to staff and customers. On occasion this will mean there are some items which we cannot accept.
Please check the list below, or feel free to give one of our shops a call to find out more.
Donated furniture and homeware
The most important consideration when selling furniture and homeware is if an item is flammable. When items do not have a safety label or instructions, we are unable to safely sell them.
- Upholstered donated furniture without a fire label (unless pre-1950s)
- Donated furniture with unsafe missing parts or damage
- Furniture with glass that does not have a kite mark or tempered glass
- Candles without instructions and safety notice
- Duvets and pillows (unless in original packaging)
- Soiled/dirty mattresses
- Roller or venetian blinds (unless in original packaging with safety instructions included)
These are items which are intended to keep people safe. We are unable to guarantee that second hand safety equipment is fully protective or has not been previously damaged.
- Safety helmets: crash, cycle, riding hats
- Climbing equipment
- Buoyancy aids, life jackets and inflatable dinghies
- Any mobility items e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, bath aids
We are able to sell non-electrical sports equipment which is new and has instructions. We must consider that many items can cause damage if not in perfect working order or if not used correctly. We are also unable to test large electrical items of equipment for safety so cannot therefore accept the donation.
- Exercise bikes
- Rowing machines
- Running machines
- Cross trainers
We can test and sell many electrical items, however, for safety reasons we are unable to sell the items listed below.
We do not have the facilities to ensure that laptops, computers and tablets are wiped of personal data so these cannot be sold.
Power tools cannot be sold as we are not able to guarantee that all parts are working and safe for use.
- Laptops, personal computers and tablets
- Electric blankets
- Sunbeds and tanning equipment
- Donated white goods and microwaves
- Personal hygiene items such as shavers and foot spas
- Any power tools
- Mobile phones
We are able to sell 18-rated items. However, for all goods given an age-restricted classification, it is illegal to sell them to anyone below the specified age. This includes computer games where the age rating relates to content.
We may ask for ID when you are purchasing age-restricted media.
We cannot accept home-recorded DVDs or VHS tapes.
We are unable to sell items which may be unsafe for children:
- Cot bumpers, cot mattresses, pram mattresses
- Children’s pillows
- Cribs, cradles and reclined cradles
- Carrycots and stands
- Table mounted chairs
- Playpens, baby baths, baby door bouncers, baby walkers
- All inflatable armbands and rings worn as floatation aids
- Toys without a CE mark
- Skateboards and roller skates
- Shoes (pram shoes with a soft bottom and brand new unworn shoes can be sold)
- Clothing with hood cords
- Nightwear and fancy dress items not labelled as fire resistant
- Car seats and booster seats
- Child seats for cycles
We cannot sell dangerous items for legal and safety reasons.
- Sharp knives (excludes cutlery)
- Crossbows or catapults
- Guns or realistic replica toy guns
- Sharp gardening tools
- Any other weapons
You can dispose of sharps or weapons via your local police station.
- Chemical items
- Any medications
- Smoking related items, including ashtrays
- Hot water bottles
- Any gas or petrol appliances
- Unsealed cosmetics and toiletries
- Food or perishables
- Counterfeit items
- Military uniforms with names or company branded uniforms
- Motor vehicles or car parts
- Grossly offensive and/or discriminatory material
Ivory and fur
We do not sell or take donations of ivory or real fur.
You can also contact the National Furniture Team on 0333 0031883 or by email on email@example.com