Find out more about referral Information for GPs and Health Professionals to Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice.
Referrals to Sue Ryder can be made via SystmOne, by submitting a referral form or by calling our team. Please see below for the relevant referral information for each of our services.
Patients with active, progressive and advanced disease are eligible for hospice services. This includes patients with both malignant disease and non-malignant diseases, for example, cancer, heart disease, lung disease and neurological diseases.
Hospice services include Out-Patients, Sue Ryder Wheatfields community team and inpatient care.
To make a referral
• SystmOne GP practices – please refer on SystmOne via the short questionnaire on the EPaCCS Support tab
• EMISS GP practices, either see referral on EPaCCS or complete the referral form and e-mail to email@example.com
• LCH and LTHT professionals complete the referral form and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If your referral is urgent, we would advise that you also ring the team on 0113 2787249 to ensure we can gain sufficient information to offer a timely response.
- Patients at home are assessed by the Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice community team. Patients in hospital who wish to be referred to the In-Patient Unit need to be assessed by the Hospital Specialist Palliative Care Team who then forward a referral.
- Referrals are considered at a meeting held each weekday morning. Urgent referrals (i.e. requests for admission that day) for patients in their own homes are considered on an individual basis based on a variety of factors including patient needs and availability of beds.
Nurse-led end-of-life care beds
- Within Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice we have three nurse-led, end-of-life care beds. The beds offer the choice to patients whose wish is to die in a hospice and who do not have complex symptoms or specialist palliative care needs, but who require nursing care from highly-trained nurses and healthcare assistants.
Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice community team and outpatient referrals
- Referrals are responded to within two working days. However, if you consider a patient needs a more urgent assessment, please contact the team directly at 0113 2787249. The Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice service runs seven days a week, 8.30am to 5pm.
For Sue Ryder Wheatfields referral advice
- Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm please call 0113 2787249.