Our programme has been independently evaluated at the House of Lords and has received positive feedback from participants. Learn more.
External evaluation of PVP
An independent evaluation of the Sue Ryder PVP was launched at the House of Lords. This evaluation was fully funded by the Bromley Trust.
The report is very positive about the programme and its outcomes and the value to the individual, the charity and the community.
Download the report
An evaluation of the Prison Volunteer Programme
Stephen Moreton, Head of Education and Development at Attend, described Sue Ryder's Prison Volunteer Programme as "a pioneering scheme with much to teach and inspire the wider volunteer-involving community."
His paper reflects discussions with Carol Davis, Prison Volunteer Programme Co-ordinator (England and Wales, South). Attend is a national charity that supports and expands the roles volunteers play in creating healthy communities.
What our volunteers say
Prison volunteers in our shops were invited to complete a survey about their experience of volunteering with Sue Ryder.
- 94% of all our prison volunteers said they had been offered formal, job-specific training opportunities.
- 78% of prison volunteers rated the volunteering experience with Sue Ryder as excellent, with no prisoner rating for our programme as fair or poor.
- 97% of prisoners said the prison volunteer programme has helped them with teamwork
- 94% believed the prison volunteer programme gave them a sense of achievement
- 69% of prison volunteers said that the experience of working for Sue Ryder was more than they were expecting
- 100% of respondents said they would recommend the prison volunteer programme to other prisoners
We'd like to thank the following organisations for their previous support of our Prison Volunteer Programme:
- The Bromley Trust
- The Gannochy Trust
- John Paul Getty Jnr Charitable Trust
- Lloyds TSB Foundation
- Pilgrim Trust
- Vandervell Foundation
- Voluntary Action Fund
- The Big Lottery Fund - supported PVP England & Wales until June 2015
- The Robertson Trust - supported the PVP in Scotland until June 2016
Interested in supporting our programme?
Please contact us directly by phone on 01302 380067 or email the team.