We are looking for volunteers to support our new Sue Ryder Grief Kind Spaces drop-in sessions in Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, the West Midlands and Yorkshire.
About the Grief Kind Spaces volunteering role
Grief Kind Spaces will be in-person drop-in sessions held in the local community. The informal sessions will provide a safe, welcoming and supportive place for people who have been bereaved to share their experiences of grief, helping attendees to feel heard and less alone.
As a Grief Kind Spaces volunteer, your role will be to help facilitate the session enabling people to come together to talk to others in a similar position. You will also signpost to other support services available when required.
Ideally, we hope you’d volunteer for between two to four hours per week on a rota, however, we are very flexible and this can be discussed with your local coordinator.
Who can apply?
Anyone aged 18 and over can apply to be a volunteer. We explain more about what's expected from a volunteer in our role profile (PDF, 108 KB), but you do not need to have any qualifications or previous experience. You just need to care about people who have been bereaved and have time to offer. We’ll provide all the preparation, training and support you will need.
Where are the Grief Kind Spaces?
We are looking for volunteers to support our Grief Kind Spaces which are now open or are coming soon at the following locations:
- The Guinea Pub, Bedford Road, Moggerhanger, Bedford, MK44 3RG
- Milton Ernest Garden Centre, Radwell Road, Milton Ernest, Bedford, MK44 1SH
- Sheeplands Garden Centre, Hare Hatch, Reading, RG10 9HW (opening date to be confirmed)
- Thatcham Garden Centre Restaurant, Bath Road, Thatcham, RG18 3AN
- The Library in The Place to Eat Café at John Lewis & Partners, 123 High Street, Cheltenham, GL50 1DQ
- Roots Coffee and Community, 69 Alvin Street, Gloucester, GL1 3EH
- The Tank, 12-14 Llanthony Road, Gloucester Quays, Gloucester, GL1 2EH (opening date to confirmed)
- MindSpace, 39 Broad Street, Stamford, Lincolnshire, PE9 1PX
- Hereward GP Practice, Exeter Street, Bourne, Lincolnshire, PE10 9XR
- Dorothy Parkes Centre, Church Road, Smethwick B67 6EH (opening date to be confirmed)
- Bradford & Bingley Sports Club, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1LT
- Fisher Medical Practice, Coach Street, Skipton, BD23 1EU
- John Lewis Community Hub, 4th Floor, Victoria Gate, Harewood St, Leeds, LS2 7AR
- Village Hotel North Leeds, 186 Otley Rd, Headingley, Leeds LS16 5PR (Opening date to be confirmed).
Complete our form to register your interest
Our Grief Kind campaign
When it comes to something as tough as grief, it can be hard to know what to say or do that might help someone you love. Find out how you can be #GriefKind to those you care about.