Join us for a fantastic night under the stars on our magical new route at Shuttleworth, remembering loved ones and fundraising for St John’s Hospice. This is a night not to be missed!
- Registration opens: 6.30pm
- Walk starts: 8.00pm
What happens on the night?
Starting early evening, arrive in time to check-in and enjoy our entertainment area, where you’ll find music, stalls and refreshments available.
After warming up, you’ll follow a safe marshalled route around the enchanting grounds of the Shuttleworth Estate, including a special visit to the Swiss Gardens. From here your walk will take you to the Summer House where you’ll be able to display a star dedicated to your loved one.
Crossing the finishing line, you’ll be rewarded with a well-deserved medal, the opportunity to treat yourself to a hot drink and a snack, plus the knowledge that you’ve done something amazing for local people at the hardest time of their lives.
Encourage your friends and family to join you!
Sign up individually or select 'Team' entry, name your team and then sign up/invite friends, family and colleagues to hike with you! You can have up to ten members per team so don't be shy.
Every penny raised through sponsorship will help us to continue to provide expert end of life care to our patients and offer support to their families at St John’s Hospice and out in the local Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire community.
Sign up for St John's Starlight Hike 2019
Frequently asked questions about this event
I've signed up. What happens now?
Once registered, each entrant will receive an email confirmation with more information, which will be followed by a fundraising welcome pack including your Starlight Hike T-shirt.
What time does it start?
Check in starts from 6.30pm and the walk starts at 8.00pm.
How far is the walk?
There are two routes available - a 5km route and a 10km route.
How long will the walk take?
It's difficult to say exactly as people of all ages and abilities take part. Most walkers complete a 10K walk in around 90 minutes to 2 hours, but this isn’t a race so there’s no rush!
Is this walk suitable for pushchairs, wheelchairs and other mobility vehicles?
No. The route is over grass and across uneven terrain which would make it unsuitable. However, we welcome all to enjoy the music and entertainment provided at the event site.
Are dogs allowed at the event?
No dogs are allowed to attend this event.
What's the refund policy, and full terms and conditions?
The Sue Ryder Starlight Hike is an evening walking event in aid of Sue Ryder. By submitting the application form you confirm that you understand and agree to abide by the following terms and conditions:
- All participants must register online no later than Friday 13th September. There will be a registration desk open on the day for those who have not registered in advance.
- All participants must supply emergency contact details.
- A parent or guardian must countersign the application of any participant under 18 on date of application. Participants aged under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult and there must be at least one adult for every 5 walkers aged 16 or under. Accompanying adults must ensure that their child/children is/are supervised throughout the event and has/have a good level of road safety awareness.
- Participants must pay a non-refundable, non-transferable entry fee at the time of applying. The amount of the entry fee will be confirmed on the application form and on Sue Ryder’s webpage for the event.
- Sue Ryder reserves the right to refuse any application. Sue Ryder’s decision shall be final.
- Sue Ryder reserves the right to change, postpone or cancel the event where forced to do so by circumstances beyond its control. Where the event is postponed or cancelled, participants shall receive a full refund on their registration fee.
- Successful applicants will receive an email confirmation. An Event Pack will be sent out to you in the post prior to the event giving you all the information you need.
- Your Starlight Hike walker number and a t-shirt to wear in celebration of a loved one will also be posted to you before the night (or available on the night if registering at the event).
- If any of your contact or other details should change after you have entered the event, you should notify Sue Ryder as soon as possible.
- The Starlight Hike has been designed as a low risk event for a person of average fitness. All participants should satisfy themselves that they are in good health and physically able to participate in the Starlight Hike. If in doubt, participants should consult a GP, hospital doctor or other suitable healthcare professional prior to the event.
- If you have any medical conditions or if you wish to take part in a wheelchair please contact us before completing this form for information about how you can be supported in this event.
- Whilst Sue Ryder will use reasonable endeavours to make the event safe, all participants must protect themselves by wearing suitable clothing and footwear. High visibility apparel and torches/lights are recommended. All participants must follow the rules of the Highway Code as they apply to pedestrians as well as the instructions of the event organisers and marshals on the route.
- Sue Ryder accepts no liability for any personal injury to any participant other than where such injury is caused by negligence on the part of SR. SR accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss of or damage to any participant’s property.
- Starlight Hike is a walking event which means running is not permitted and we cannot allow any other means of transport such as mobility scooters, roller blades, bicycles or buggies, unless notified in advance and agreed with SR.
- Dogs are not allowed at this event
- Sue Ryder asks that participants and supporters do not smoke or use e cigarettes during the event
- Participants should conduct themselves appropriately during the event and refrain from doing anything which might pose a risk or cause a nuisance to other participants or which might reasonably be expected to adversely affect Sue Ryder’s reputation or bring the charity into disrepute.
- Sue Ryder reserves the right to eject any participant who does not comply with these terms and conditions.
- The Starlight Hike is an exclusive Sue Ryder fundraising event. All participants must pledge to raise as much sponsorship as possible for Sue Ryder. Sponsorship monies may not be given to or shared with any other organisation. Sue Ryder suggests that each participant should seek to raise at least £140 in sponsorship, the cost of a nurse for a day.
- Participants should collect all sponsorship after the event and pay these to SR within a reasonable time post event
- In the event that the charity’s fundraising for a particular care centre or location exceeds its planned/established expenditure (calculated by year) any excess will go to fund Sue Ryder’s other vital work. All cost examples provided are calculated based on average costs.
- Unless they notify Sue Ryder of any express objection, participants are deemed to have agreed to take part in post-walk publicity which may include interviews, photography and/or filming for Sue Ryder internal communications, local and/or national media. In the event that you raise any objections to the use of any image in which you (or any of your children) are featured after the event Sue Ryder will remove that image from its website and refrain from any future use of it, but cannot undertake to remove from circulation any printed materials already in use.
- We’d love to keep in touch with you about future events and to tell you more about the work of Sue Ryder and how you can support it. Please tick the appropriate box on the application form if you’re happy for us to email or text you. If you do not want us to telephone you or send you mailings by post about our other events and the work of Sue Ryder, please tick the appropriate box on the application form.