Get colourful at the Sue Ryder St John’s Hospice PaintRush. A 5K run, jog or walk with obstacles to raise much needed funds for our expert care.
A run, jog or walk
The Sue Ryder St John’s Hospice PaintRush is a 5K run, jog or walk supported by the Paint Rush event volunteer group.
With fun for all the family, this colour run makes for a great day out while raising money for Sue Ryder St John’s Hospice and the expert care we provide for people living with life-limiting conditions, as well as supporting their families.
You can enter as an individual or as a team with friends and family. The entry fee includes a PaintRush t-shirt and a bag of paint powder to start the fun before the race.
Along the route there will be eight paint stations which will coat you in a different bright-coloured paint to turn you multi-coloured. There will also be obstacles on the route and a merchandise store to make the day even more exciting.
On admission we will give you your discount voucher for the Ambience Café Restaurant.
Fundraise through JustGiving
To help us raise vital funds for our expert palliative care at Sue Ryder St John's Hospice, you can set up your own JustGiving page and collect all of your donations in one easy to reach place, keeping track of the funds raised by your supporters.
£63 could pay for 3 hours of expert compassionate care.
£145 could fund a hospice nurse for a day.
£500 could give 24 hours of care and support, allowing a family to share love in those precious final days.
There is no minimum fundraising target for this event. However, we ask participants to raise as much as they can in support of Sue Ryder St John’s Hospice.
Every donation counts and will help us continue to be there when it matters most, filling someone's last days full of love.
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to take with me?
You'll need comfortable clothes (you'll receive your white t-shirt on the day to put over the top!), and a sense of adventure! You're welcome to bring your phone for photos, but please remember it may get covered in paint, and PaintRush will not be liable for any damage. You may also need cash for parking if you are using the town car parks, but they are also payable via the MiPermit app (details on signs at the carparks).
It is advisable to wear sunglasses or goggles.
How long is the route?
The course is approximately 5k (3.1 miles) and consists of two laps of Regatta Meadows/Riverside Park
What kind of obstacles will there be?
Whilst we don't want to ruin all the surprises... you can expect a mixture of obstacles, suitable for a mix of abilities (think cargo nets and hay bales!) You do have the option to skip an obstacle if you don't fancy it though
Can I bring my dog to run with me?
Unfortunately the race is not suitable for our 4 legged friends!
Will I be able to drop my bag off at the start?
We are aiming to run a Bag Drop stand, but all items are left at the owner's risk and PaintRush will not be liable for any loss/damage of possessions. Please allow extra time prior to the start of the event to do this.
Can I participate if I am pregnant or I have some health issues?
If you are pregnant or have any issues with your health we recommend you to consult your doctor before purchasing your ticket. Although our mission is to make the race as safe as possible to every participant, there is always the possibility of unforeseeable incidents (such as falling or bumping into another person).
How do I clean up after the race?
Unfortunately, we are not able to get changing stations at the event venues. We recommend you to bring a change of clothes or some towels or a large plastic bags with you to prevent your car/public transport from getting coloured. After your first shower, some of the colour still might show a little but don’t worry: after a couple of washes you should be as clean as brand new! It’s best to wash all your clothes first separately in cold water.
Can I volunteer at PaintRush?
Yes please! If you are interested in volunteering for the event, please get in touch with the team via email: email@example.com
What is the paint made from?
The paint is a natural corn starch powder. All paint is purchased from Running Imp.
Is the route suitable for pushchairs, wheel chairs and other mobility vehicles?
No. The route is over grass and on uneven terrain which would make it unsuitable.
What is the refund policy?
The entry fee for the St John’s PaintRush is non-transferable and non-refundable. Due to unexpected health and safety reasons on the day, the St John’s Paint Rush may have to be reduced or altered to accommodate unexpected complications (for example, flooding).
What is the minimum age of entry?
There is no minimum age, but participants aged under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult. See terms and conditions for more details.
Are tickets on sale on the day?
Unfortunately tickets are not available to purchase on the day.
Is there parking available?
Parking is available at the Riverside car park, this is pay and display.
There is a free alternative parking at the back of the park at Coneygeare Court, PE19 2UL.
There is also pavement parking running parallel to Regatta Meadows and in town parking.
Terms and conditions
PaintRush in support of St John’s Hospice, organised by the St John’s PaintRush Committee.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The PaintRush in support of Sue Ryder (SR) St John’s Hospice is a 5k running event in aid of SR. By submitting the application form you confirm that you understand and agree to abide by the following terms and conditions:
- All participants must register online no later than midday on Saturday 31st July 2021.
- All participants must supply emergency contact details.
- There is no minimum age to be a Paint Pirate.
- A parent or guardian must countersign the application of any participant (whether a runner or Paint Pirate volunteer) aged under 18 on date of application. All participants aged under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult and there must be at least one adult for every participants under 16. Accompanying adults must ensure that their child/children is/are supervised throughout the event and has/have a good level of road safety awareness.
- Participants must pay a non-refundable, non-transferable entry fee at the time of applying. The amount of the entry fee will be confirmed on the application form and on SR’s webpage for the event.
- SR reserves the right to refuse any application. SR’s decision shall be final.
- SR reserves the right to change, postpone or cancel the event where forced to do so by circumstances beyond its control.
- Successful applicants will receive an email confirmation. You will receive emails prior to the event with further information.
- Runners only: Your PaintRush runner number, a t- shirt to wear on the day and a packet of paint are to be collected from the registration desk on the day.
- If any of your contact or other details should change after you have entered the event, you should notify SR as soon as possible.
- PaintRush has been designed as a low risk event for a person of average fitness. All participants should satisfy themselves that they are in good health and physically able to participate in the PaintRush. If in doubt, participants should consult a GP, hospital doctor or other suitable healthcare professional prior to the event.
- If you have any medical conditions or if you wish to take part in a wheelchair please contact us before completing this form for information about how you can be supported in this event.
- Whilst SR will use reasonable endeavours to make the event safe, all participants must protect themselves by wearing suitable clothing and footwear. Sunglasses are recommended to avoid paint going into runner’s eyes. All participants must follow the rules of the Highway Code as they apply to pedestrians as well as the instructions of the event organisers and marshals on the route.
- The paint used is coloured corn-starch powder and is non-toxic. Paint may stain clothes, so it is recommended that runners wear clothes that they do not mind getting stained.
- SR accepts no liability for any personal injury to any participant other than where such injury is caused by negligence on the part of SR. SR accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss of or damage to any participant’s property.
- If the event is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances including COVID-19 your ticket will remain valid for the re-scheduled event (if we are able to re-schedule).
- COVID-19 Safety:
a. Participants agree to take part in line with all social distancing rules, government guidelines and event rules designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as they stand on the day of the event.
b. Participants agree that, irrespective of the results of any Lateral Flow Test, if they or anyone in their household feels unwell, is displaying any symptoms of COVID-19, is awaiting the result of a PCR covid test, is required to self isolate/quarantine or has tested positive for COVID-19 in the days prior to the event, they must not take part or attend the event and will stay at home.
c. If required and guidelines stipulate, all participants agree to perform a COVID-19 Self-Test Rapid Antigen Test (commonly known as a Lateral Flow Test or LFT) on the eve of or on the morning of the event, the results of which must be recorded via the UK Government online self-reporting service (www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result) prior to journeying to the event and show a negative result.
d. Participants acknowledge that their data may be shared with the local public health authority and used for contact tracing purposes in the event that any event participants test positive for COVID-19 following the event.
- PaintRush is a running event at which we cannot allow any other means of transport such as mobility scooters, roller blades, bicycles or buggies, unless notified in advance and agreed with SR.
- Dogs are not allowed at this event (apart from assistance dogs belonging to event spectators)
- SR asks that participants and supporters do not drink alcohol, smoke or use e cigarettes during the event
- Participants should conduct themselves appropriately during the event and refrain from doing anything which might pose a risk or cause a nuisance to other participants or which might reasonably be expected to adversely affect SR’s reputation or bring the charity into disrepute.
- SR reserves the right to eject any participant who does not comply with these terms and conditions.
- PaintRush is an exclusive SR fundraising event, organised by the St John’s PaintRush Committee. All participants must pledge to raise as much sponsorship as possible for SR. Sponsorship monies may not be given to or shared with any other organisation. SR suggests that each participant should seek to raise at least £60 which is the cost of one bereavement session for families.
- Participants should collect all sponsorship after the event and pay these to SR within a reasonable time post event
- In the event that the charity’s fundraising for a particular care centre or location exceeds its planned/established expenditure (calculated by year) any excess will go to fund Sue Ryder’s other vital work. All cost examples provided are calculated based on average costs.
- Unless they notify SR of any express objection, participants are deemed to have agreed to take part in post-walk publicity which may include interviews, photography and/or filming for SR internal communications, local and/or national media. In the event that you raise any objections to the use of any image in which you (or any of your children) are featured after the event SR will remove that image from its website and refrain from any future use of it, but cannot undertake to remove from circulation any printed materials already in use.
We’d love to keep in touch with you about future events and to tell you more about the work of Sue Ryder and how you can support it. Please tick the appropriate box on the application form if you’re happy for us to email or text you. If you do not want us to telephone you or send you mailings by post about our other events and the work of Sue Ryder, please tick the appropriate box on the application form.