Join our Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice for a night to remember - a 10K night-time walk through Cheltenham, shining bright in memory of loved ones.
What happens on the night?
- Registration opens: 7.00pm
- Walk starts: 9.00pm
Starting early evening, arrive in time to check in and enjoy our entertainment area, where you’ll find great live music from the fabulous Rock Choir, glowing merchandise for sale and refreshments also available.
After warming up with the fun and funky Clubbercise, you’ll follow a safe marshalled route around Cheltenham.
*Please note: this is NOT the Senior school.
Stroll through the softly lit hospice grounds
Our route gives you the opportunity to walk through our tranquil hospice grounds, softly lit with festoon lights and candles, where you will have the opportunity to place a star in memory of loved ones. The route is designed to allow those not wanting to include the hospice to continue on back to the finish.
Crossing the finishing line, you’ll be rewarded with some well-deserved snacks and the knowledge that you’ve done something amazing for local people at the hardest time of their lives.
Group or individual entry
Sign up individually or select 'Group' entry, give yourself a team name, and then register up to three other family members (for a Family of Four), or five friends, family and colleagues (for a Team of Six) to walk with you!
- Family of Four - £48 (£12 per person)
- Team of Six - £72 (£12 per person)
Please note: Your Family of Four must contain a minimum of one adult who is over 21 years old, and your Team of Six must contain a minimum of two adults who are over 21 years old.
Your sponsorship supports our care
Every penny raised through sponsorship will help us to continue to be there for local families providing expert and compassionate palliative care and bereavement support in our hospice and out in the local Gloucestershire community.
Let’s shine in memory of those we love
This year we want to make Cheltenham shine bright in memory of those we love, so grab your friends and wear as much neon and colourful lights as you can. Bring on the light-up boppers, flashing hats, neon leggings and tutus, and party atmosphere!
Your entry fee includes a Starlight Hike t-shirt, refreshments, post-walk goodies, support with your fundraising and a great night out too - all in support of Sue Ryder's local palliative and bereavement care.
Can you help us make Starlight Hike 2019 one to remember?
Can you help support the event, volunteer on the night or recruit walkers to join us? We would love to hear from you so please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take part in the Leckhampton Starlight Hike 2019
Main sponsor and supporters:
Leckhampton Court Starlight Hike FAQs
What are the timings for the event?
- 6.45pm – Parking opens
- 7.00pm – Registration open / Sign-in for online entries open / Entertainment commences
- 9.00pm – Walks starts
- Midnight – Home time
What facilities are available and is there parking?
Yes, parking will be available. Full details and maps of parking locations will be made available in advance and included in your electronic event pack. Both the start/finish and hospice have toilets.
What other information will be provided in advance of the event and when will this be sent?
Everyone registering online will be sent an electronic event pack approximately 5–10 days prior to the event that will include all the relevant information. We strongly advise you read this document as this will hopefully answer any questions you may have.
Walker numbers will be sent out to everyone in advance of the event so you can arrive with this attached to your clothing.
Note: if you are part of a Team or Family entry, all walker numbers will be sent to the lead member (the person who made the original online entry) and not individually.
If you have any questions that are not covered in the event pack, you will be able to get in touch with the fundraising team as outlined below.
What emergency contact information do I need to provide?
In order to take part in Starlight Hike, you are required to provide (at the time of booking) an Emergency Contact name and number. This MUST be someone who is NOT attending the event with you and can NOT be yourself. Please make sure you input this information correctly when entering online as this information will be used in the event of an accident/emergency on the night.
This also MUST be someone over the age of 18 years, in the UK on the day of the event and contactable.
Where does the event start from and where does the route go to?
The walk will starts from St Edward’s Prep School, London Road, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 6NR. (Note: do NOT go to the Senior School on Cirencester Road as this is NOT part of the event and parking is NOT available here.)
There will be pre-walk entertainment and music to enjoy and get the party started, with the Rock Choir and warm up from Clubbercise.
Our route is a 10km loop from St Edward’s Prep School in Charlton Kings. The route follows public footpaths through Charlton Kings and Leckhampton, before coming through the hospice grounds where you can leave a memory on our wall of stars.
Should you prefer not to enter the hopsice grounds then of course you are able to miss out this section and continue back to the finish.
Are children allowed to enter the walk? What about dogs?
Yes, children are permitted to walk but must be accompanied by a legal parent or guardian at all times. Everyone taking part in the walk must complete the registration process, be that online or on the day.
Please note: as the route is on public footpaths, bikes and scooters are not permitted. Children’s buggies are, however, permitted.
We allow dogs to join in the fun and encourage you to involve them in the event with flashing accessories so other walkers and road users can see them in the dark. We ask that dogs are kept on the lead at ALL times without exception and are NOT left tied up anywhere unattended.
We also ask (as I'm sure you would anyway) that you carry bags and pick up anything after your dog.
Can I collect my free Starlight Hike T-shirt in advance of the event?
Yes, we can make these available in advance and will host an evening in the Day Hospice for people to collect them. We will communicate this date to you in advance.
Should you not be able to collect this on the announced date, you can make separate arrangements to collect these by contacting the fundraising team on email@example.com or by calling 01242 246 162.
What do I need to do on arrival?
Sign in in the sports hall. It is very important you do sign in so we know you are taking part and have arrived, especially so we have a record in the unlikely event of an emergency.
You will need to sign in at the relevant desk (alphabetical by surname) and collect your t-shirt if you don’t already have this. When you have signed in, please feel free to head outside where the stage and entertainment will be located. Refreshments will be available.
What do I need to bring with me?
A checklist will be available in the electronic event pack and sent to you in advance. Please, however, do make sure you remember to bring your walker number with you to registration. We will register people by surname on the evening of the walk so we have an attendance list.
Please also come dressed appropriately for the weather, especially as it will be the end of October, and wear good walking shoes/footwear. Although the route will be lit with street lighting, it is also advisable to bring a torch with you.
Will any food/drink be provided? Will merchandise be available to purchase?
Yes, refreshments will be available to purchase at the start of the walk with additional refreshments available at the half way point (hospice). We’ll also provide everyone with a complementary bottle of water and some donated snacks and goodies after crossing the finish line.
We do advise, however, that you bring some additional water with you as well as any other supplies you may require if you have allergies or special dietary requirements. The route does also pass shops where further supplies can be purchased.
There will also be a selection of flashing items you can purchase on the evening.
Do I need to raise any sponsorship to take part?
Although we don’t ask for a minimum amount of sponsorship to be raised, this is a charity event to raise funds and promote the work of Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice across the county. We do encourage people to try and raise £140 to support the charity (this is the cost of a nurse for a day).
You’ll be able to set up an online JustGiving fundraising page after you’ve completed the online registration. We can also help with providing paper sponsor forms, collection tins and any other fundraising items. If you would like any help with your fundraising, just get in touch with the Leckhampton Court fundraising team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be delighted to help.
Do I need to bring any proof of entry with me or show an email on my phone?
No – all entries made online will be entered alphabetically onto sign-in sheets and you will need to sign in on your arrival so we are aware you have arrived.
Can I sign up on the day?
Yes, on-the-day registration is permitted (subject to availability), but we encourage you to enter online so we can provide you with all the relevant information and support in advance and also send out your walker number.
You are more than welcome to register on the night but on-the-day registration incurs an additional charge, and we recommend you arrive early to avoid any queues and make the most of the pre-event entertainment.
Will there be photos available from the event?
Photos will be taken at the event and we will share a link to an online Facebook album post event. We also encourage people to take their own photos and selfies using the hashtag #StarlightHike.
What is the refund policy, and full terms and conditions?
Participants must pay a non-refundable, non-transferable entry fee at the time of applying. The amount of the entry fee will be confirmed in the application process and on Sue Ryder's event webpage. We regret that we are unable to offer a refund on any entries unless the event is cancelled.
The Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice Starlight Hike is an evening walking event in aid of Sue Ryder.
By submitting the online application form, you confirm that you understand and agree to abide by the following terms and conditions:
- All participants must complete a paper application form or register online no later than Monday 14th October 2019. There will be a registration desk open on the day for those who have not registered in advance.
- All participants must supply emergency contact details.
- A parent or guardian must countersign the application of any participant aged under 18 on date of application. Participants aged under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult and there must be at least one adult for every five walkers aged 16 or under. Accompanying adults must ensure that their child/children is/are supervised throughout the event and has/have a good level of road safety awareness.
- Participants must pay a non-refundable, non-transferable entry fee at the time of applying. The amount of the entry fee will be confirmed on the application form and on Sue Ryder’s webpage for the event.
- Sue Ryder reserves the right to refuse any application. Sue Ryder’s decision shall be final.
- Sue Ryder reserves the right to change, postpone or cancel the event where forced to do so by circumstances beyond its control. Where the event is postponed or cancelled, participants shall be entitled to defer their entry to when the event next takes place or (subject to availability) transfer to an alternative Sue Ryder fundraising event.
- Successful applicants will receive an email confirmation. An Event Pack will be emailed to you prior to the event, giving you all the information you need.
- Your Starlight Hike walker number and remembrance message to wear in celebration of a loved one will also be posted to you before the night (or available on the night if registering at the event).
- If you’ve ticked 'yes' to a Starlight Hike T-shirt, this will available for you to collect on the evening prior to departure (unless you make other arrangements to collect these from the hospice; for instance, we may do a collection day also at Leckhampton Court Hospice).
- If any of your contact or other details should change after you have entered the event, you should notify Sue Ryder as soon as possible.
- The Starlight Hike has been designed as a low-risk event for a person of average fitness. All participants should satisfy themselves that they are in good health and physically able to participate in the Starlight Hike. If in doubt, participants should consult a GP, hospital doctor or other suitable healthcare professional prior to the event.
- If you have any medical conditions or if you wish to take part in a wheelchair, please contact us before completing this form for information about how you can be supported in this event.
- Whilst Sue Ryder will use reasonable endeavours to make the event safe, all participants must protect themselves by wearing suitable clothing and footwear. High-visibility apparel and torches/lights are recommended. All participants must follow the rules of the Highway Code as they apply to pedestrians, as well as the instructions of the event organisers and marshals on the route.
- Sue Ryder accepts no liability for any personal injury to any participant other than where such injury is caused by negligence on the part of Sue Ryder. Sue Ryder accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss of or damage to any participant’s property.
- The Starlight Hike is a walking event, which means running is not permitted and we cannot allow any other means of transport such as scooters, roller blades, bicycles or buggies, unless notified in advance and agreed with Sue Ryder.
- Participants are able to bring dogs; however, must be fully responsible for them at all times. If your dog fouls in a public place, you must then clean up the mess by law. Always carry plenty of disposable bags, so that you are never caught short; you don’t want to break the law accidentally. Place dog waste in special dog waste bins and not in general rubbish bins. If there is no dog waste bins, take it home and dispose of it there.
- All dog foul must be removed from the start/finish venue (school grounds) and the hospice grounds, and not placed in bins on either of the premises.
- Sue Ryder asks that participants and supporters do not smoke during the event.
- For health and safety reasons, participants may not consume alcohol immediately prior to or during the event.
- Participants should conduct themselves appropriately during the event and refrain from doing anything that might pose a risk or cause a nuisance to other participants or which might reasonably be expected to adversely affect Sue Ryder’s reputation or bring the charity into disrepute.
- Sue Ryder reserves the right to eject any participant who does not comply with these terms and conditions.
- The Starlight Hike is an exclusive Sue Ryder fundraising event. All participants must pledge to raise as much sponsorship as possible for Sue Ryder. Sponsorship monies may not be given to or shared with any other organisation. Sue Ryder suggests that each participant should seek to raise at least £140 in sponsorship: the cost of a nurse for a day.
- Participants should promptly collect all sponsorship monies after the event and pay these to Sue Ryder within a reasonable time of the event.
- In the event that the charity’s fundraising for a particular care centre or location exceeds its planned/established expenditure (calculated by year), any excess will go to fund Sue Ryder’s other vital work. All cost examples provided are calculated based on average costs.
- Unless they notify Sue Ryder of any express objection, participants are deemed to have agreed to take part in post-walk publicity, which may include interviews, photography and/or filming for Sue Ryder internal communications, digital channels, and local and/or national media. In the event that you raise any objections to the use of any image in which you (or any of your children) are featured after the event, Sue Ryder will remove that image from its website and refrain from any future use of it, but cannot undertake to remove from circulation any printed materials already in use.
- In future, we may wish to send or contact you with information about our charitable activities, including other fundraising events. Please tick the appropriate box on the application if you do not want to receive further information. If at any time in the future you decide that you no longer wish to receive mailings or information, please contact Sue Ryder on 01242 395 450 or send an email to email@example.com to be removed from the mailing list.