Can I get bereavement benefit?

If you have lost a spouse, partner or civil partner, you could be entitled to financial help, known as bereavement benefits, regardless of how much your income is.

You can speak to the bank or building society of the person who has died to see if they might be willing to release funds to help pay for the funeral. Larger banks nearly always agree to this and building societies and NS&I may also agree and pay the funeral director direct.

Read more about planning and organising a funeral.

There are also other benefits you might be able to claim that can help you get by financially if you will now have to manage on a low income.

The Money Advice Service has a helpful page setting out the different benefits you may be entitled to and how to claim them. You may also find that you can use your late husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s National Insurance contributions to claim new or increased benefits.

This information is based on our professionals' experience of providing care, and draws on a number of expert references. Find out more about the references for our information.