How to raise concerns

Raising a concern or making a complaint

We aspire to create a world where everyone has access to personalised and compassionate care. We recognise that as a provider of care we may not always get it right and we want to hear about instances where we don’t get it right.

If you are unhappy about our service in any way, please speak with the person in charge at the centre or service as soon as possible.

You can raise a concern if you are feeling uneasy or anxious about the service, or you can make a complaint. A complaint is a formal expression of discontent where something about the service is unsatisfactory or unacceptable.

Whether it is a concern or a complaint, we will ensure you get a response as soon as we have looked into it.  Problems can often be resolved straight away and the concern or complaint addressed.

If I make a complaint whilst still receiving care, will this affect my care in the future?

Absolutely not, we actively encourage people to let us know if they are unhappy with our service so that we can put this right as soon as possible.

How long will I be expected to wait for a response to my concern or complaint

Most concerns and complaints can be resolved immediately. In some instances we may need time to look into this further.

For more serious complaints we would expect to get a response back to you within 20 working days; however, if this is not achievable - for example, if we need to seek additional information from services outside of Sue Ryder - we will keep you informed and updated as to when you can expect to receive a response.

We believe that in some instances, it is better to take longer to fully investigate and ensure the complaint is fully answered - including a clear response on our learning and what we will do to prevent a reoccurrence.

Who else can I speak to?

If you are not happy with the response from your local service management team, you can ask to speak to a senior manager from Sue Ryder head office.

If, after this, you are still unhappy, there are other people you can speak to.

Our complaints leaflet goes into more information about raising a concern or making a complaint on one of our care services.

Download a complaints leaflet (pdf)

If your complaint is a serious allegation of professional misconduct, you may wish to report the matter to a regulatory council: For more information about our complaints procedure, please contact our Health and Social Care team.