Role title: Ward Assistant
Line manager: Ward Manager
Location: Wheatfields Hospice, Grove Road, Headingley, Leeds, LS6 2AE
Use your patience and compassion to help support our ward staff and the service they provide to our residents at Sue Ryder’s Wheatfields Hospice.
Can you help support the patients at Sue Ryder’s Wheatfields Hospice?
As a ward volunteer you will be part of the support team who:
- meet and greet new service-users and visitors as they arrive
- carry out non-clinical duties such as delivering post, arranging flowers, reading letters and newspapers to patients
- provide general support at meal times
- assist with general tidying and cleaning
- sit with patients if requested
- escort individuals to the garden, shop or for a treatment on request
- help service-users with makeup, nail care and hair styling (not cutting) as required
- direct or assist in the provision of activities with patients as appropriate
- carry out patient feedback surveys
We will need you to attend mandatory training and comply with Health and Safety regulations and Sue Ryder policies and procedures.
We will also require your permission to carry out a DBS (formerly CRB) check (at no cost to you).
Commitment: Regular commitment of one shift per week. Various shifts available on weekdays and weekends from 8am.
You will need to have patience, a friendly and empathetic disposition, and good communication skills.
Previous experience within a care centre or of providing care in a paid or unpaid capacity would be beneficial, but is not essential as all training will be provided.
Sue Ryder is able to reimburse your reasonable local travel expenses, and we can provide you with a reference for prospective employers.
This is an opportunity to develop your experience within a healthcare environment and make a real difference to individuals living with life-limiting conditions.