Spiritual Care Support
Role title: Spiritual Care Support
Line manager: Spiritual Care Co-ordinator
Department: Family Support Team
Location: Wheatfields Hospice, Headingley, Leeds
To assist in the provision of spiritual support of patients, relatives, carers and staff.
• Working with the Spiritual Care Co-ordinator and other staff offering spiritual care and support to people whose lives are affected by cancer and other life-limiting illnesses.
• Visiting patients, their carers and relatives on the In-Patient Unit and elsewhere in the hospice as required. Assisting with referrals for spiritual support.
• Referring to the Spiritual Care Co-ordinator and other staff regarding issues needing specialist support.
• Appropriate record keeping.
• Regular supervision and training.
• DBS check and mandatory training will be required.
Commitment: Ideally 3 hours a week, in a morning or afternoon
• An excellent understanding of the diverse nature of spirituality in healthcare.
• High level of self-awareness, empathy and compassion.
• Emotional resilience.
• Very good listening and communication skills.
• Ability to work in a complex environment and discuss complex issues.
• Can work in a team and also alone.
• An understanding of confidentiality.
• Understanding of palliative care and end of life issues.
• Knowing when to seek help and/or refer for specialist support.
• A willingness to learn.
Previous experience of providing spiritual support to people would be an advantage.
Sue Ryder is able to reimburse your reasonable travel expenses for shifts over 4 hours, and we can provide you with a reference for prospective employers.
This is a real opportunity to develop your experience within a healthcare environment and make a real difference to individuals living with life-limiting conditions.