Role title: Gardener
Line manager: Jo Brown, PA Support Services Manager
Location: The Duchess of Kent Hospice, Reading, Berkshire
To assist the gardening team with the general upkeep and the future development of the gardens at The Duchess of Kent Hospice
• Work with staff on the preparation, planting and maintenance of the grounds and greenhouses. This will include weeding, deadheading, pruning, digging and planting.
• Keeping the gardens to an agreed standard for service users and their friends and families to enjoy.
• Work with the grounds teams on how you can plan & develop gardens for future use.
• Being mindful of the environment you are within especially where required to talk to service users and their friend and families.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Work as part of a team.
• Represent Sue Ryder in a positive way.
• Communicate and promote the work of the charity to friends, relatives and the community.
DBS not required
Commitment: Generally the Gardening team meet on Wednesdays from 10am- 1pm, but it may be possible to volunteer on a different day
Previous experience is helpful but not essential
Our peaceful gardens are appreciated and enjoyed by both service-users, their friends and family. If you enjoy working as part of a team, being outdoors and have a few hours to spare each week, then a gardening role at the Duchess of Kent is the perfect volunteering opportunity for you.