Day Hospice Support
Role title: Day Hospice Support
Line manager: Volunteer Service Co-ordinator Kellie Raeburn-Ward
Department: Day Hospice
Location: Wokingham Day Hospice, 41 Barkham Road, Wokingham, Berks
The day hospice volunteers play a crucial role in creating a friendly atmosphere and assisting staff with the smooth running of the day hospice.
• Prepare tea and biscuits and ensure that there is a welcoming atmosphere.
• Assist patients with hanging up their coats, settling them in and serving tea and biscuits.
• Listen and talk to patients and their visitors where appropriate
• Taking part in group work with patients, quizzes, arts and crafts, supporting and encouraging patients to participate.
• Setting tables with cutlery, water jugs, glasses and flowers and assisting staff with serving lunch.
• Serve tea and cake to patients.
• Hand over to following volunteer where appropriate.
• Assist with tidying up the Day Centre, craft cupboard ensuring the kitchen is clean and tidy.
Commitment: Many volunteers prefer to have a regular, weekly session - others work on an ad hoc basis or alternate weeks – volunteers tend to do either a morning or afternoon session.
Good listening and communication skills are essential
• A caring, sympathetic, sensitive manner and a non- judgemental approach
• Commitment to understanding the needs of people living with life limiting illness
• Ability to manage emotionally challenging situations
• Have a positive outlook and enthusiasm for meeting new people
• Able to work autonomously
• Flexible and easy going approach to varied tasks
• A passion for the work of Sue Ryder and the hospice
• Understanding of confidentiality
• Adhere to Sue Ryder policies and protocols.
Experience of caring in either paid or unpaid capacity would be an advantage but it is not essential, our volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Ongoing support/supervision and training will be provided.
• Opportunity to develop new skills and interest.
• This role offers a chance to meet new people and contribute to an important service
• We’ll be able to provide a reference to prospective employers